This exhibit explores Queens College student involvement in education activism in the 1960s. The Student Help Project tutored students in South Jamaica, Queens and Prince Edward County Virginia. The Mississippi Freedom Project of 1964 sent students down South to run Freedom Schools. Queens College students also participated in and promoted school boycotts in New York City to raise awareness of unofficial segregation by neighborhood. The SEEK (Search for Education, Elevation, and Knowledge) Program was initiated at Queens College in 1966, helping African-Americans gain access to higher education.
Many of our collections were donated by activists who participated in the Student Help Project in Jamaica,
Queens, and Prince Edward County, Virginia, in 1963. This timeline visually displays date-stamped materials and is the result of our "50 Years Ago Today"
social media project, launched on May 1st, 2013. The project Tweeted items daily to provide greater access to materials while also highlighting the daily
work of civil rights activists at Queens College. The items displayed are just highlights; the collections hold much more on the Student Help Project and
other student activism.
This art book was created by Queens College Art & Design students to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the Student Help Project's Prince Edward County involvement. The students worked with archival materials to reinterpret the materials and to show case them in new ways.
Occupy Wall Street (OWS) is a movement based around a rejection of the inequalities inherent in capitalism. Influenced by the mass uprisings in the Middle East, Europe, and other parts of the world, and sparked by a call to action in the July 2011 issue of Adbusters magazine, a group of activists established OWS in New York City in late summer 2011. OWS grew into the largest series of mass protests in the United States since the 1960s through the use of occupied public spaces, direct actions, and publications.
This site is a digital reproduction of the exhibit McCarthyism at Queens College,
1947-1955. The exhibit was originally installed in the Rotunda of the Benjamin
Rosenthal Library at Queens College from September 2 through October 18,