Queens College Civil Rights Archives


Search using this query type:

Search only these record types:

Exhibit Page
Simple Page

Advanced Search (Items only)

Supplementary Fact Sheet



Supplementary Fact Sheet


A fact sheet distributed by the Ad Hoc Faculty Committee in response to the fact sheet distributed by President McMurray


Students- Political Movements
Ad Hoc Committee to End Political Suppression


Ad Hoc Faculty Committee




Queens College Department of Special Collections and Archives (New York, N.Y.)



Date Created



This material may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17,U.S.C.). We welcome you to make fair use of the content accessible on this website as defined by copyright law. Please note that you are responsible for determining whether your use is fair and for responding to any claims that may arise from your use.




1099894 bytes
1147916 bytes
772200 bytes





Spatial Coverage

Queens College (New York, N.Y.)


9 April 69
By the Ad Hoc Faculty Committee
There are serious omissions and distortions in the fact sheet which has been distributed by President MacMurray concerning the events of the past two weeks. This supplement is designed to help correct some of these distortions t .and to provide an accurate basis for intelligent discussion.

Thursday, March 27.
1 PM. A campus rally was held to protest the suspension of three students for contempt of court; the students were to have been tried for their participation in an anti-recruitment demonstration, but because they and others insisted on an open trial, the trial never took place. The rally, sponsored by the Ad Hoc Committee to End Political Suppression, drew about 700 students. Several faculty were present to act as buffers in case of violence that had been threatened by the conservative student coalition. At the rally Martin Gill, chief prosecutor of the Student Association, declared he would no longer prosecute the students, on the grounds that no fair trial could be expected under the existing framework.
2 PM. SA having dropped charges, Dean of Students George Pierson was asked to do the same. The rally moved into SS Building where Pierson's office is located, and the group decided to wait for him there. The office itself was not occupied nor was there any disruption or obstruction.
3PM It was decided by vote of the body sitting in SS Building to add to its student demands the demands to rehire Sheila Delany and to repudiate the Max-Kahn Report.
4 PM Several students and faculty from the Ad Hoc Committee--went to the Faculty Council meeting then in session to inform the FC what had happened, to present to it a petition signed by over 400 students, and to request that Pres. McMurray address the group. The President declined to meet with the Ad Hoc Committee or to send Dean Pierson to meet with them; at this rebuff the rally became a sit-in.
9 PM Dean of Students George Pierson arrived to address the Ad Hoc Committee. He claimed that the law under which the three students had been prosecuted had been ratified by SA; SA President Glen Brunman denied this. Pierson stated that although SA had dropped charges, he personally would not do so. He also stated that if the college could not settle its own problems, “outside agencies” would help. Some students made hostile remarks, and Pierson left angrily.

Friday, March 28. This is the only day of the six on which some services were interrupted.
11 AM At a meeting in the President’s conference room, attended by deans, faculty, members of the Ad Hoc committee, and two student justices, the administration agreed to reinstate the suspended students but refused to withdraw charges. No agreement was reached on the other demands.
1PM At another rally, the lifting of suspensions was made public, and SS Building was reoccupied.
From this time until Monday night there was no official communication from the administration to the Ad Hoc Committee, nor was any request made to leave the building. Food, clean-up, and blanket committees continued to function inside the building as they had since Thursday; there was also a security committee to screen out potential violence. Several deands were in their offices much of the time; no attempt was made to exclude them. A secretary from the Financial Aid office was allowed to take her records out, since there was no desire to harm students in any way.

Saturday, March 29.
10 PM Several outside groups (local high schools, other CUNY colleges) offered join the Ad Hoc Committee in the building. The body voted to exclude these groups.
During the weekend, discussion workshops on several topics were set up, some of them led by faculty.

Monday, March 31 School was closed on account of Eisenhower's death. The sit-in continued.
6 PM McMurray alerted the Tactical Police Force. At the recent student convocation, it appeared that in order to get the police to come on to campus, McMurray had to agree not to drop charges afterwards.
7 PM McMurray, Dean Hartle, and several other deans and faculty arrived at the Dome, where an open meeting was in progress. McMurray asked to speak, Since it had earlier been voted that all communication from the administration be submitted in writing, McMurray was not allowed to speak. His statement was read by the chairman, and it was discussed. The statement reiterated the reinstatement of the three suspended students, offered to suspend recruitment on campus, and stated that Pierson would resign from the Faculty-Student Conduct Committee. Dean Hartle demanded to meet with faculty on the Ad Hoc Committee, but was told to submit his communication in writing. He refused to do so.
10 PM The Committee of the whole voted to respond to McMurray's statement at a rally planned for the next day, since there was not sufficient time to discuss the issues and make an immediate reply. That decision was communicated to he President.

Tuesday April 1
2 AM Dean Pierson and Hartle announced through a bull-horn from outside the building that police were waiting to be brought on campus. Those who left within the next 15 minutes would suffer no penalties. Of
those who left during the 15 minutes after that, students would be asked to turn in their ID cards to counselors who were waiting, and faculty would be suspended on the spot without pay. Those still in the building after 1/2 hour would suffer these penalties and be arrested as well. Most left; 38 students and 1 faculty were arrested, There were 30 police vans present, and the NY Times estimated the number of police at 500 (other estimates went as high as 900). Complaints for the arrests included the chairmen of
several departments, some deans, and a member of the Faculty-Student Governance Committee. Students and faculty who were not arrested went elsewhere to plan for the rally that had been scheduled for Tuesday afternoon.
1 PM The rally was held as planned, and drew some 4000 students.

Original Format

8.5 x 11 inches (216 x 279 mm)


Ad Hoc Faculty Committee, “Supplementary Fact Sheet,” Queens College Civil Rights Archives, accessed July 2, 2022, http://archives.qc.cuny.edu/civilrights/items/show/314.